This is our mirror site, please visit www.GayTJ.com for more information.

Archive for the ‘Santa Cecilia’ Category

Tijuana Pride – June 27

June 27- Parade starts at 5:00p
After party at Ranchero Bar on Plaza Santa Cecilia
Plaza Sta. Cecilia is 10 minute walk from the San Ysidro / El Chaparral border crossing or $4 USD taxi ride. Uber is also available in Tijuana.


The Committee for Tourism and Conventions reports that the number of gay visitors to Tijuana will spike during the week of the Pride festivities. Acceptance of gay visitors has become more widespread as the positive impact of those visitors is seen.  Tourism in Tijuana has increased by 8 percent this year over last.

Advertisements

Tijuana Pride Photos

Parade and Festival 2014 

Tijuana Pride 2014

Date: June 21

Parade  5:00 pm
Starting point at 1st (calle 1-2-3) and Mutualismo
Due to construction on 2nd street (calle Segundo) the parade route will be different than prior years.

Festival 7:00 pm
Plaza Santa Cecilia – El Ranchero Bar

See the photo gallery from past years: BajaAdvisor

More information at Tijuana Pride
The festival location is about a 10-15 minute walk from the San Ysidro (San Diego) border crossing or a taxi ride for about $5 USD.

See the Tijuana Map

Tijuana Pride March – June 22

Start: 5:00pm
Place: 1st (articulo 123) between Mutalismo and 5 de Mayo
Marchers should arrive at 4:00pm 

The parade will cross 5 de Mayo to Segunda then to Revolucion. Good viewing spots will be along Sedunda at Constitucion or Revolucion near Plaza Santa Cecilia. 

The location is a ten minute walk or taxi ride from the San Ysidro / El Chaparral border crossing.

Tijuana Gay Bars and Clubs

This is a current listing of the most popular cruise bars and dance clubs in Tijuana. Be sure to see the map for locations: Tijuana Map

BARS and NIGHTCLUBS

PLAZA SANTA CECILIA is located in downtown Tijuana between 1st Street and Avenida Revolución and 2nd & Constitución. Ave. This plaza is easy to find because the famous Arch is at the end on Av. Revolución while the other famous arch (Mc Donald’s) is at the other end on Constitución. Revolución is Tijuana’s main tourist spot full of souvenir shops, restaurants, bars, and night clubs. The following bars are within Plaza Santa Cecilia. They open daily at 10:00 a.m. and remain open until at least 2:00 a.m., and even later on Fridays and Saturdays.

El Ranchero is TJs most popular men’s bar for cruising. It has a ground floor and upper level. The upper level gets the busiest. Clientele consists of men of all ages and all economic backgrounds from both sides of the border. Some hustlers work it as well.

Hawaii is a few doors to the right from El Ranchero as you look at the front door. It is most popular for its nightly male stripper shows.

Villa Garcia is just to the right from Hawaii and under the same ownership as El Ranchero. It usually doesn’t get very busy, but often has drag shows on a small stage. Bar D.F. is several doors to the left of El Ranchero. Clientele mainly consists of older locals and younger macho types who hustle them.

Cosmos / El Taurino.  Tijuana and is located just one block from Plaza Sta Cecilia at the corner of Articulo 1-2-3 (First street) and Constitucion.  Mixed bar gay and straight.  The strip shows often split the crowd evenly between gay men and straight women.

Premier is a strip club with all male dancers. This club is on Ave Revolucion, just down hill from the arch, located next to Motel Alaska. Club Premier

Club 45 Opened June 2011, located on Ave. Revolución between 1st & 2nd. First floor location of the old Closet Bar. Mixed crowd, drag shows. Opens in the late afternoon and shows start at 9:00 p.m.

DANCE CLUBS

Zky Blue is a spacious two-story, upscale dance club located in downtown Tijuana on Avenida Madero between 1st and 2nd (Juarez) Street, just one block east of Ave. Revolución. The building sits back from the street due to its front parking lot. Clientele primarily consists of middle-class twinks and middle-age men, middle-class on up, from both sides of the border.

Colibri is similar in atmosphere and clientele to Zky, only it is not as large. It is located at the corner of 2nd & Revolución. The entrance consists of a stairway accessible from Ave. Revolución. The sign on the corner has a humming bird.

Club 41 is known to have go-go dancers in cages and has a separate dance area between the entrance and bar. Club 41 is located between Colibri and Cameleon and attracts primarily the same crowd.

Cameleon is next to Club 41 as you head toward the arch. Younger dance crowd much like you will find in Colibri or Club 41.

Club Fusion (Extasis and Cahuamamamas) was once two separate clubs until the owner of both”fused” the two together. In Spring 2011, a wall was put up splitting Fusion from the old Extasis making Excess. Excess is primarily about strippers and had long dark areas with private rooms. Fusion remains open with drag shows and karaoke. Fusion has a smaller dark area as well. 

LESBIAN BARS

Yadira’s is located on Ave. Madero between 7th & 8th. It includes a number of pool tables and draws some straight clientele. Open from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.

Flame Bar is now under a new name and is a karaoke bar.  The status for being gay friendly is not known.  Location is Av Madero #158, across the street from Zky Blue on Ave.  Formerly called Bobby Bar, a smaller meeting place mostly for men. 

>Tijuana gay bars update

>This is a current listing of the most popular cruise bars and dance clubs in Tijuana. Be sure to see the map for locations: Tijuana Map

BARS and NIGHTCLUBS

PLAZA SANTA CECILIA is located in downtown Tijuana between 1st Street and Avenida Revolución and 2nd & Constitución. Ave. This plaza is easy to find because the famous Arch is at the end on Av. Revolución while the other famous arch (Mc Donald’s) is at the other end on Constitución. Revolución is Tijuana’s main tourist spot full of souvenir shops, restaurants, bars, and night clubs. The following bars are within Plaza Santa Cecilia. They open daily at 10:00 a.m. and remain open until at least 2:00 a.m., and even later on Fridays and Saturdays.

> El Ranchero is Tj’s most popular men’s bar for cruising. It has a ground floor and upper level. The upper level gets the busiest. Clientele consists of men of all ages and all economic backgrounds from both sides of the border. Some hustlers work it as well.

> Hawaii is a few doors to the right from El Ranchero as you look at the front door. It is most popular for its nightly male stripper shows.

> Villa Garcia is just to the right from Hawaii and under the same ownership as El Ranchero. It usually doesn’t get very busy, but often has drag shows on a small stage. Bar D.F. is several doors to the left of El Ranchero. Clientele mainly consists of older locals and younger macho types who hustle them.

> Cosmos – formerly El Taurino.  Tijuana and is located just one block from Plaza Sta Cecilia at the corner of Articulo 1-2-3 (First street) and Constitucion.  Mixed bar gay and straight.  The strip shows often split the crowd evenly between gay men and straight women.

> Premier is a strip club with all male dancers. This club is on Ave Revolucion, just down hill from the arch, located next to Motel Alaska. Club Premier

DANCE CLUBS

> Zky Blue is a spacious two-story, upscale dance club located in downtown Tijuana on Avenida Madero between 1st and 2nd (Juarez) Street, just one block east of Ave. Revolución. The building sits back from the street due to its front parking lot. Clientele primarily consists of middle-class twinks and middle-age men, middle-class on up, from both sides of the border.

> Colibri is similar in atmosphere and clientele to Zky, only it is not as large. It is located at the corner of 2nd & Revolución. The entrance consists of a stairway accessible from Ave. Revolución. The sign on the corner has a humming bird.

> Club 41 is known to have go-go dancers in cages and has a separate dance area between the entrance and bar. Club 41 is located between Colibri and Cameleon and attracts primarily the same crowd.

> Cameleon is next to Club 41 as you head toward the arch. Younger dance crowd much like you will find in Colibri or Club 41.

> Club Fusion (Extasis & Cahuamamamas) is approximately one block west of the San Ysidro border crossing on Calle Larroque just west of Av de la Amistad. This area is called Plaza Viva Tijuana and is where the Mc Donald’s is located just inside Tijuana at the pedestrian gate. If you cross the border on foot through the turnstiles, keep walking until you see the large “Tourist Information” booth slightly to your right, where you will then make a sharp right turn and walk to the next set of turnstiles. After passing through those turnstiles, keep walking across the street at the crosswalk, and continue in the same direction along the sidewalk for about a half a block to the entrance to the club. Club Fusion was once two separate clubs (Extasis and Cahuamamamas) until the owner of both “fused” the two together. The club is spacious, upscale, and includes male stripper shows and long, narrow dark rooms. Clientele primarily consists of twinks and middle-age men, middle-class on up, from both sides of the border.

LESBIAN BARS

> Yadira’s is located on Ave. Madero between 7th & 8th. It includes a number of pool tables and draws some straight clientele. Open from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.

> Flame Bar is directly across the street from Zky Blue on Ave. Madero between 1st and 2nd, formerly called Bobby Bar.

>Two-day Pride Festival in Tijuana

>

FIRST-EVER, TWO-DAY, OUTDOOR PRIDE FESTIVAL DOWNTOWN JUNE 19 & 20

by Rex Wockner

Tijuana’s 15th gay/lesbian pride march hits the streets Saturday, June 19, at 5 p.m.

Participants will gather in front of the community-based Alliance Against AIDS (ACOSIDA) Clinic at 7648 Calle 1ra, five blocks west of Avenida Revolución between Avenida E (Mutualismo) and Avenida F (5 de Mayo). (Some street signs refer to Calle 1ra as Calle Artículo 123.)

To get there: Walk across the international border at San Ysidro. Exit the southern pedestrian turnstiles (not the western ones). Turn right and follow the tourists across Avenida Amistad, through the Viva Tijuana open-air mall, and across the big Tijuana River pedestrian bridge. Continue walking straight west about three blocks and cross under the huge St. Louis-style arch on Avenida Revolución.

Enter Calle 1ra/Artículo 123 — do not veer slightly left into the slanted Plaza Santa Cecilia pedestrian mall — and proceed to number 7648. (For extra fun, some buildings are marked in both old and new street-numbering systems. Pay attention only to numbers above 7000.)

To get to the border, take the San Diego Trolley or drive and park in a secure, paid lot on the U.S. side. You can ignore bus and taxi drivers on both sides of the fence who insist it’s a long walk to downtown Tijuana, because it isn’t.

FIRST PRIDE FESTIVAL – DOWNTOWN, OUTDOORS, TWO DAYS

Other pride events this year include a first-ever, two-day, outdoor pride festival smack in the center of downtown, stretching east, west and south from the arch. The festival runs from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. both Saturday, June 19, and Sunday, June 20. Entrance is free. Festival Map

According to the organizers: “Come and celebrate together with 10,000 other people the First Annual Tijuana Gay Festival in a three-block area of the center of the city. Discover the latest in gay art, culture and music, experience a variety of diverse food and drink options, and then take over the streets with thousands of friends for a massive hip street party Tijuana-style. Residents and community leaders, with support of the local police, invite you to discover the gay side of Tijuana.”

Last year’s Tijuana pride parade was nearly three times bigger — and twice as long — as in any other year.

The turnout was all the more amazing because the city had been hit with a serious crime wave as drug cartels and dealers battled for dominance. The situation has improved notably since last summer.

In contrast with previous years, almost no gays and lesbians from Southern California crossed the border to join last year’s festivities — it was a purely local and home-grown affair. Many people from San Diego, which is just 15 miles away, have stopped going to Tijuana because of the violence.

Yet the gay parade was bigger, better, longer, more colorful and more spirited than ever. At least 1,000 people marched or rode in the parade itself — which stretched along seven blocks of Avenida Revolución, the main drag of the city of 2 million people. More than 10,000 people watched the spectacle pass.

Then, when the parade got to its endpoint, it took an unscheduled right turn, then another right turn, and headed all the way back to the north end of downtown, traversing Avenida Constitución. Police, who up to that point had made an effort to keep vehicles moving through the heavily congested downtown, gave up at that juncture and resigned themselves to a traffic jam.

“It’s been the best march that’s taken place in the city of Tijuana … the biggest and the most participants,” said organizer Lorenzo Herrera. “People have decided to come out, people no longer want to hide their sexual preference. We all have equality.”

One large official banner carried in the parade read: “Tijuana-Ensenada GLBT Pride. 500,000 pink votes also count. We all have the same rights.”

Another large official banner said: “Homophobia must end. Live your pride with dignity. Homosexuality is not a problem, homophobia is.”

A third one read: “Homophobia is intolerance of homosexuality. Equality begins when we recognize that we all have the right to be different.”

Spectators cheered the parade and smiled broadly. A single protester with a hand-held PA system, stationed at the parade lineup location, asserted repeatedly, “The price of sin is death, according to the Bible.”

Everyone ignored him.

View photos from the 2009 Parade by clicking this link: WOCKNER

Tag Cloud